Will Kontakt 3.5 properly replace 3.0 in Forte?

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

JulienS

Will Kontakt 3.5 properly replace 3.0 in Forte?

Postby JulienS » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi,

I'm a fairly new user (since January). I use Forte with 10 instances of various VST instruments, including Kontakt 3, mostly in a live environment.

There has been a major update of Kontakt this month, and before messing everything up (gigs soon) I'd like to ask you experts here about the proper way to migrate.

In a perfect world, we would simply install the new version and benefit of all of its enhancements. In the real world, I have the feeling that given the fact that there are new features, the blob data format may have quite changed, and Forte could have some troubles to make Kontakt 3.5 recall of a given configuration previously set during the 3.0 age.

Or put it differently, will Kontakt 3.0 and Kontakt 3.5 be considered as two differents plugins? Or K3.5 will replace K3.0?

Thanks in advance,

-- Julien

Dirk Offringa

Re: Will Kontakt 3.5 properly replace 3.0 in Forte?

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Hi Julien

I understand you are concerned about any issues that might arise after a major upgrade of a key component of your live-rig. I have two observations here:

-the backward-compatibility question, as well as the "will 3.5 be recognised as a separate VST" question would be more likely to be answered correctly by NI's support: that's within their scope. IF they state "3.5 IS backward compatible with 3.0" AND you experience problems inside forte 2.0, THEN we MAY, perhaps, have an issue here.

-if you have a stable, working set-up right now, AND you don't absolutely need any new features/bugfixes, if I were you, I'd wait to perform the upgrade until any critical gig's are over..... and would not proceed without backing up your files.

Apart from that, I cannot help any further....

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

JulienS

Postby JulienS » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for your answer, your methodology is very accurate.

In fact I have some strange error messages while running Kontakt 3 from within forte from time to time, AND I wanted to benefit of the memory usage enhancements of Kontakt 3.5. That's why I considered this move.

I'll share my experience, which was very positive. First I backed up the whole hard disk into an disk image, just in case. Then I upgraded to 3.5, and guess what, everything went fine as in the perfect world I mentioned.

Kontakt 3.5 overwrites the Kontakt 3.dll file in the VSTi directory. From the point of view of forte there's no difference. I checked all my scenes one by one and they all work just fine. If I observe anything weird in the next few days I'll let you know. And in case anythings goes really wrong I still have my disk image to restore everything.

I hope this may help other people around.

-- Julien

Angel

Postby Angel » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:49 am

Confirmed.

I also did the upgrade from NI Kontakt 3.0 to 3.5 and everything still works fine in Forte.

Angel

ab_keyboards

Postby ab_keyboards » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:21 am

+1 for Kontakt 3.5. I haven't found any Problems after updating.

Andreas

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:00 pm

Cool!

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Return to “Plugin Issues”