CS-80 Arturia Question...

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

pedrosura

CS-80 Arturia Question...

Postby pedrosura » Wed May 13, 2009 8:48 am

First of all, Forte is just awesome!

I have 3 instances of CS-80 on a Scene. I want the expression pedal cc#11 to control the sequencer on/off button on CS-80#3 only on that scene. When I got the the next scene I want Forte to forget that. Instead Forte keeps that same setup for all scenes and forgets that the expression pedal controls sequencer on/off button when I start Forte again.

My question is can I setup Forte to remember that expression pedal controls sequencer on/off only on scene #1 on Cs-80 #3 (on the rack) and no on the other scenes. How do I do that?

I anyone knows please let me know. The way I setup songs is that I setup a scene per song and then when I change the midi transmit channel on my midi keyboard I control which sounds comes out. So when I say a scene change I also mean song change.

Thank you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTuVddpb ... annel_page
Here is a video of using the sequencer. I just want the expression pedal to control cs-80#3 only that SCENE which for me is only that song

pedrosura

Re: CS-80 Arturia Question...

Postby pedrosura » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Does anyone know a solution for this problem? Is this something that Forte does not do currently but could do in the future. Save configuration per scene?

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:52 am

Midimapping is done on a per-scene basis, unless I'm completely stupid it seems that it has always done so, why doesn't that work for you? It should!

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

fab

Postby fab » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:10 am

do you mean "sequencer on/off" inside the vst? that should work, as dirk says.

or do you mean forte's own play state button? that one is indeed per rack, not per scene afair.

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:08 pm

My problem with midi mapping is that with Arturia's vsts I can assign a midi assignment to arppegiator play button by left click on the apr play button and then moving a control on midi. That assignment is not saved with a scene. In the midi mapping dialog the arp play parameter is not there. Does that mean the parameter is not available on Forte. ? It seems that if it can be changed on the screen then Forte should be able to modify the parameter on a per scene basis. What am Missing?

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:31 pm

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:39 am

Dirk, thank you very much.
The arp play button is saved as part of presets on the cs80. What is not saved is the CC assigment to the arp play button which in my case is 11 for the expression pedal. What is it that you said about the compatibility xml.?
Once I open Forte and I assigned expression to the 3rd of 5 cs-80 instances, Forte then remembers the assignment for all scenes. What I wanted to do is to have Forte assign the expression pedal on the 3rd instance and remember that when I load the rack. The best would be that it would remember that on a per scene basis but I guess that's not possible. Any chance to make it remember the assignment for the 3rd instance of cs80 like I described? Thank u Dirk!

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:36 am

Please be perfectly clear. I don't undersrtand what you do and where. There are TWO ways of assigning a CC to a parameter: inside the plugin itself, and in forte's midirouting-layering tab. It's best to use only one of both.

Inside the plugin itself, if this assignment is not recalled on each scene, then three causes might exist:

- either you didn't update each scene after changing this assignment
- or you told the plugin not to use per-scene data or not to load data on scene change
- or there's a bug in CS80.

(Additionnally, maybe, as I said, you might want to add a section for this plugin in your devicecompatibilty.xml file. Please search the forums, and the manual for furthjer explanation: this file is used to give special instructions to forte on how to save/load plugin presets/banks for particular plugins that need special attention.)

Inside forte: you said you didn't see the parameter (arp play) in forte's midirouting. Are you positive? It's not in the list with the other parameters of that plugin?

Dirk

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:57 am

Thank you Dirk...
This is very helpful. I have not use the midiroutings tab because the parameter is not listed. It is not listed in the Arturia manual as well.

I have updated the scenes. I'll check if I have load data on scene change to make sure. I also will look into the compatibility.xml. The solution might be there. Arturia does not have the play button available as a parameter on the cs80 or minimoog. It is probably only parameters you might want to automate as oppose to control with midi. Thank you. This is helpful.

fab

Postby fab » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:48 pm

regarding midi learn inside the vst i have the experience with almost all my vsts that this midi learn maps are fixed for all instances of the vst.

usually, there is a midi learn map file somerwhere on the computer e.g. inside the application settings folder for the vst, which is used for all midi learn purposes. so there can only be one midi configuration at a time per computer.

(caveat1: some vsts can switch in an internal modmap what a certain midi controller does, though. e.g. ohmforce vsts

caveat2: the only real exception i know of are the Applied Acoustics instruments that have switchable midi patches which you select in a browser. but only with tassman it really works per scene.)

i don't have any arturia vsts, so midi learn might be different there.

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:44 pm

Well, within Forte once I assign midi controls thru midi learn Forte will remember the assignments even if they are different between several instances of the same vst. What I would like to see is for that to be saved with the rack. I still don't know if it's possible

pedrosura

My Solution for a while

Postby pedrosura » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:50 pm

I guess the solution until I find something better is that when I play live I set the expression pedal the the instrument on the rack that I want to have the expression pedal control the appegiator play. While Forte will not record that this is set it will remember during playing.

pedrosura

Postby pedrosura » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:36 am

I can verify that it is a bug with CS-80. The other Arturia VSTs dont have that problem. Thge minimoog will record that information and recall it without a problem.

Return to “Plugin Issues”