Native Instruments B4 not working properly in Forte 2

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

Amyris

Native Instruments B4 not working properly in Forte 2

Postby Amyris » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:17 pm

Hello there,

among other VSTi plugins I also use Native Instruments B4 (newest built available installed) in Forte 2.0 (also newest built installed). For some reasons the B4 plugin is not working properly in Forte 2.0 (nevertheless it works fine in Forte 1.6, which is also being installed parallely). The following things do not work correctly:

- When starting Forte and loading the rack file Forte does not load the saved B4 preset correctly (the volume pedal inside the B4 is set to a very low value while in the preset it is set to the maximum value, the drawbar settings are not recalled as saved in the preset, neither is the tonewheel set and the overdrive/disortion value). When manually recalling the preset, everything is fine again. I've already tried updating the starting scene and saving the rack file again without success.

- It is not possible to scroll through the tonewheel sets properly. When clicking the up and down selection several tonewheel sets are jumped over and therefor cannot be selected with this method.

- When clicking directly into the tonewheel picture a pull down menue opens to select the whished tonewheel set directly. This is also not working properly. When selecting for example the tonewheel set "classic" it selects the tonewheel set "pure" instead.

Please note that all this worked fine with Forte 1.6. I did not reinstall or changed the B4 plugin before or after I installed Forte 2.0. Pleas also note that the plugin is being controlled by the B4D Controller. In Forte 2.0 the B4 plugin is also set to be a virtual Midi device so that it can send back Midi CC informations to the B4D controller (so that the B4D displays the correct setting of the loaded B4 patch).

Any idea? Can you reproduce it? Has anybody else these problems?

Dirk Offringa

Re: Native Instruments B4 not working properly in Forte 2

Postby Dirk Offringa » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:29 am

You should try to tweak the DeviceCompatibility.xml. Refer to the user manual to do this.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Angel

Postby Angel » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:51 am

You are using VMI and EHCO to send parameter data form the B4 plug-in back to the controller?

In the MIDI routing tab, is the VMI port enabled or disabled? I mean the settings where you can remap MIDI channels and so on, not the VMI button to enable plug-ins to send MIDI at all.

Angel

Dirk Offringa

Postby Dirk Offringa » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:56 am

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Angel

Postby Angel » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:57 am

Thats what I'm asking. Maybe that creates some controller wiredness ...?

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:26 pm

I will check it this weekend thanks!

Amyris

Postby Amyris » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi there,

just coming back from the rehearsal room. After some checking I can surely say that this is not a Forte bug or problem. Here is my exakt configuration in this case:

B4 Configuration:
- B4 is configured as VMI, all Midi-ports of the VMI interface itself are disabled in the B4 plugin
- The keyboard sends Midi input through Midi port 3, Midi channel 1 of my MIDI interface to the B4. Inside the B4 plugin, Midi channel 1 is set to control the upper manual of the B4. This part of the configuration is working.
- The B4D Controller sends its ouput through Midi port 6, Midi channel 4 of my MIDI interface to the B4. Inside the B4 plugin, Midi channel 4 is set for the controller. This part is also working, I can control the plugin with the controller.

B4D Configuration by using a EHCo plugin:
- The B4D gets his input data vom the B4 plugin by using the VMI interface of the B4 and Midi channel 4 (because channel 4 is configured in the plugin for the controller)
- In EHCo Midi port 6 and channel 4 are also confgured (because the B4D listens on that port).

With this configuration I am experiencing this strange behaviour. When deactivating the B4D EHCo plugin, suddenly everything is working fine with the B4 plugin (no problems any more).

At the end I figured out that this is not a Forte problem, because when using the B4 plugin standalone and setting up this configuration in the standalone plugin (port 3 for keyboard input, port 6 for B4D input and port 6 as the ouput Midi port for B4 Midi data) I am also having the same problems, too.
Seems that the B4D feedbacks incoming Midi data from the B4 back to the plugin. Weird.

So at the moment I have deactivated the B4D EHCo plugin because I do not really need the feedback from the plugin to the controller (the other way is of course more important - B4D controls the plugin -, and this is working fine).

Return to “Plugin Issues”