VB3 MIDI Learn Feature not Working in Forte 2.0

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

boxerdad

VB3 MIDI Learn Feature not Working in Forte 2.0

Postby boxerdad » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:09 am

I've just purchased GSI's VB3. It's very inexpensive, but arguably sounds as good as (if not better than) NI's B4 II. Forte 2.0 has no problem recognizing and loading VB3 however, VB3's MIDI Learn feature is inoperative. A query to GSI about this returned the following: "this is an old bug that affected Forte and and a few other hosts that don't handle the GUI idle() process correctly. I wonder why they didn't fix this in the new version. If you try with any other vst host, the MIDI Learn does work".

This feature (or lack thereof) doesn't prevent the use of VB3 with Forte as VB3 stores its MIDI assignment parameters in an easy to edit ASCII text file called VB3.dat. Simply open the file with Notepad, enter your MIDI control assignment data, and then save the file. Knowing full well that Forte's programmers are not "mishandling the GUI idle () process" out of ignorance or malice, it will be interesting to hear what's going on. :)

Dirk Offringa

Re: VB3 MIDI Learn Feature not Working in Forte 2.0

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:21 am

Hi,

I am very interested indeed on what Mike has to say about "not handling the idle() method correctly". That is an intriguing statement.

This being said, why don't you map your controllers directly in forte using forte's own midi-learn function? Wouldn't that be easier than editing a .dat file by hand?

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

boxerdad

Postby boxerdad » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am

Duh - Gee Dirk, I haven't gotten around to exploring this feature in Forte. Guess I'd better stop playing and RTFM (read the manual) . . . :oops: Thanks for the suggestion! Editing the .DAT file is easy but if I can do it in Forte it sure will save a lot of time.

fab

Postby fab » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:12 pm

well i am positive i did SOME midi learning for vb3 in forte and it seemed to work....

i ended up using forte's midi assignment anyay, since it proved more flexible with midi channels.

i mis-use a faderfox lv-1 as a drawbar controller sometimes, so i needed some extra assignments. vb3 is great, btw :)

Return to “Plugin Issues”