Rocket Compressor not working

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

klivgren

Rocket Compressor not working

Postby klivgren » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:19 pm

Having trouble with Stillwell Audios's Rocket Compressor.
posted this on their forum and below is their answer

>First of all, where have these been all my life! Just purchased (all format) licenses for Rocket and Vibe-EQ.
I have many "high-dollar" plugins and these are among, if not the best.
All is well with both plugins on the Mac G5 (DP5), but I use a slave PC (Win XP svc pack2) running various virtual instruments. (using Brainspawn Forte as host)

Vibe-EQ is fine on the PC but Rocket shows up on Forte's "Bad" dll list. (Forte rarely has this plugin problem)
I tried re-downloading and re-installing but get the same.

Any ideas?

*****************************************************************************************************************
Hi, sorry for the trouble. Here's what I think is the case:

Forte doesn't support sidechainable plugins (plugins with more than 2 channels of input). (Some hosts do, some hosts

don't.)

A VST plugin announces the number of input channels when it introduces itself to the host, then the host identifies

itself to the plugin, then the plugin is allowed to change its number of input channels. We have some special-case code

in all of our plugins that listens for a host that's known not to support sidechains, and rearranges its IO configuration

to expose only 2 channels of input.

This works for all the cases we know of, except Forte. Either Forte bails out when it sees 4 inputs and never gets around

to identifying itself to the plugin, or Forte writes down the input count when it first looks at the plugin and never

checks to see if it changed.

Short version, we don't think Forte will load any of our sidechainable plugins (Rocket, Major Tom, Oligarc). The only

workaround we can think of is to make special non-sidechainable versions of these plugins.

fab

Re: Rocket Compressor not working

Postby fab » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:16 am

i had this issue with major tom and verbiage. my solution was to wrap it in energyxt 1.4 vst - of course, that is not an option, if you don't need energyxt / a vst wrapper for anything else.

Dirk Offringa

Re: Rocket Compressor not working

Postby Dirk Offringa » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:13 am

I have many sidechainable plugins, but they all work in forte (except, obviously, the sidechains). I think that the default option for these plugins (exposing all 4 inputs as default) is not very clever. It should start as a 2in/2out plugin and let the sidechain be enabled by userinput, "greying out" the option if the host doesn't support it.

My 0.02$

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Return to “Plugin Issues”