audio clicks and pops

Post here if you encounter problems using a plugin in forte

Moderator: MikeG

moogman

audio clicks and pops

Postby moogman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:15 pm

Hello All. So I took out Forte this weekend for the first time. For the most part it worked it worked very well. I did have an issue though.My forte rig is very simple, I use hypersonic2 and kontakt2. I route forte though nuedo3 live and it seems when ever I do a scene change I get audio clicks and pops out of Nuendo. Best I can tell it looks like it might somehow be taxing the CPU for a brief momment to cause this to happen. I know my setup is a little odd but was hoping someone had similar issue and might be able to suggest something.

robert_e_bone

Re: audio clicks and pops

Postby robert_e_bone » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:47 pm

Hey there. For whatever the worth, there are a bunch of tweaks to do to Windows to help out the whole drop out and pops thing.

One of the things to consider is the review and selective temporary stopping of Windows Services that you do not need to have running when you are using your Forte software. Examples would be Telnet, Print Spooling, Clipbook, Cryptography Services, Windows Defender, MacAfee or other anti-viral software. All of these chew up memory that when you are peforming you probably do not want to have running.

If you click Start - Run - and type in Service.msc and hit enter you will start the Windows Services Manager utility. This will display the services that are present on your machine, and also allow you to selectively temporalily start ones you don't need while running Forte.

Believe it or not, this will many times make a huge beneficial difference in reducing the pops you are currently experiencing.

Bob Bone

Dirk Offringa

Re: audio clicks and pops

Postby Dirk Offringa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:03 pm

What do you use Nuendo for, and at what latency are you running your rig? If you are reading back audio from nuendo using low latencies such as 64 to 128 samples, you are on the the edge of a buffer underrun (=>pops) due to the hardrive seektime involved when something else than your audiotrack needs to be read from the drive. Don't forget that an average harddrive has seektimes in the 12 to 14 ms range. That's most probably more than you're forte-latency.

With a VERY fast drive, you can expect to run 2 to 3 stereoaudiotracks from your drive at 128 samples buffersize , given that Nuendo does some prefetching, which it does. But even with prefetching, at such low latencies you'll inevitably drain your read-buffers too fast.

Run FileMon from SysInternals to monitor the activity that corresponds to the pops and clicks, and try to eliminate or divert this activity. Preload samples in forte, and use program changes instead of loading them on the fly. Make use of the "don't load data on scenechange" option for samplers. A separate drive for audio is an absolute must. An SSD even better, but the cheap ones don't perform better than a USB flashdrive, better wait a bit til the dust settles.

Dirk
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Return to “Plugin Issues”